Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bing.com

A few weeks ago I encountered Bing.com for the first time. At work my browser started going to bing.com instead of Google when I wanted to complete an online search. Since I was not aware of the Microsoft search engine I was very interested in an article I found in eWeek – “Bing’s the thing” by Jim Rapozza. Of course Microsoft is one of the few companies that is large enough to rival Google and launch a search service but how are they as a search engine.

Personally, I have not used it much but Jim thinks it is more attractive than Google and has a lot of interactive touches. These enhancements include but at not limited to providing a variety of information. The Left side is a menu which expands the search based on the information entered. The middle lists the main results which is familiar to many other search engines. A nice touch - when you hover over the right of the result, a small window containing additional information about the linked site.

Bing also has a video search, enhanced photo searches and improved shopping experience. The maps and news searches are not as good as Google but they are acceptable.
Please go to eWeek.com and read more about Bing.com. http://www.eweek.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment